Christmas Sparkle Cookies
I needed to add some color into my cookie tray and came across this cookie. Too beautify not to try! And turns out it’s incredibly delicious too!!!! The cream cheese keeps the cookies very soft on the inside and the sprinkles add the perfect crunch on the outside!
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 and 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter at room temperature
- 2 oz. cream cheese at room temperature
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg at room temperature
- 2 tsp vanilla extract (always use pure, not imitation)
- 1/2 tsp almond extract (this is optional but I used it and it added so much great flavor)
- sanding sugar (sparkle sprinkles!)
- Combine flour, baking soda and salt in medium bowl and set aside.
- In large bowl of stand mixer, combine butter and cream cheese. Mix on high speed until smooth. Add the sugar and continue to mix until creamy. Add egg and vanilla and almond extract and beat another minute until well combined. Make sure to scrape down the sides of the bowl as you mix.
- Add the flour mixture and mix on low speed until well combined.This makes a thick dough. COver and refrigerate for at least an hour. (If you chill longer than an hour, let dough it at room temperature for 30 minutes before using.)
- When you are ready, preheat oven to 350º F and line baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Pour each color of your sanding sugar into a separate bowl.
- The original recipe says to roll 1 tablespoon of dough into a ball then roll in the sugar to coat. I wanted smaller cookies and use 1 teaspoon of dough per cookie instead. Place cookies about an inch apart on baking sheets (these cookies do not spread).
- Once they are rolled and on the baking sheet, press down lightly using the bottom of a glass to flatten the cookie just slightly.
- If making the large size cookies, bake 12-13 minutes, or until lightly browning around edges. The smaller size cookies I made only bake about 9-10 minutes.