Peanut Butter Munchies
Chocolate peanut butter desserts have been my go-to this year, so it’s only fitting that my last cookie be the Peanut Butter Munchies! These have a rich chocolate flavor with a kick of peanut butter. This recipe is from a 2004 magazine of the 100 best cookies….these had to be near the top of that list!
- 1 and 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter at room temperature
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar + 2 tbsp for dusting
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 3/4 cup peanut butter (divided into 1/2 and 1/4 cup)
- 1 egg at room temperature
- 1 tbsp milk
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract (no imitation!!)
- 3/4 cup powder sugar
- Preheat oven to 350º F. Line baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In medium bowl stir together flour, cocoa powder and baking soda. Set aside.
- In bowl of stand mixer beat together butter, 1/2 cup granulated sugar, brown sugar and 1/4 cup peanut butter until well combined. Add egg, milk and vanilla and mix until combined. Gradually add the flour mixture – mix on low until the flour has all been incorporated.
- The original recipe calls for making this chocolate dough into 32 balls (1 1/4 inch). I made them about half this size and doubled the number (full disclosure – it was late and I didn’t feel like making a second batch). Place them 2 inches apart on baking sheet. Slightly flatten each cookie (using the bottom of measuring cup or glass).
- For the filling, mix 1/2 cup peanut butter with the powder sugar.
- Shape this mixture into 32 (3/4 inch) balls – or 64 (about half that size).
- Top each flattened chocolate ball with a peanut butter ball. Shape the chocolate dough around the peanut butter filling, completely covering it. Roll into a ball and place back on baking sheet.
- Dip the bottom of a glass into a bowl of sugar. Press down gently on each dough ball to flatten slightly.
- Bake for about 8 minutes, until just set. Let stand for 1 minute then transfer to wire rack to cool completely.
- Store in an airtight container – they will store better at cooler temperatures but will stay at room temperature for several days.