I gave the spritz cookies another shot this year….about 2/3 of them survived without breaking. (Their sizes and shapes are not totally consistent but they are in one piece and definitely edible.) After making these I saw America’s Test Kitchen did an Instagram post on the best cookie presses. This got me thinking – maybe it’s my cookie press and not me! (I have the Pampered Chef one – I don’t even think this one was mentioned in the reviews I read on them) But that will be for next year…..
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup butter at room temperature
- 1 egg at room temperature
- 2 tsp almond extract
- food coloring and sprinkles or decorating sugar
- Preheat oven to 400º F.
- In a medium bowl, combine flour and salt. In bowl of stand mixer, cream butter until smooth. gradually add in sugar. Mix on medium speed until well combined. Mix in egg and almond extract and beat well.
- Gradually add in the flour mixture. Mix on low until fully combined.
- Divide dough according to how many colors to wish to make. Add food coloring to each as desired.
- Press dough through cookie press unto an ungreased backing sheet. Add sprinkles if you would like.
- Bake for 6-8 minutes – take out just before they start to brown on the edges. Let sit on the baking sheet for a couple minutes then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Store in an airtight container (put in that piece of white bread to help them stay fresh longer). They will last up to 2 weeks if stored properly.