This is one of our weeknight favorites. It’s a recipe my mom made when I was growing up and now my kids enjoy at least twice a month. Prep time is 5 minutes – can’t beat it! (It does have a longer cook time so don’t make this when you will be running around to practices.) My husband never ate meatloaf because most recipes use ketchup, and he HATES ketchup (imagine?!?). Like he won’t take a fry off my plate if it’s anywhere near the ketchup. He eats this one because it uses pizza sauce rather than ketchup, so the dish is a little less sweet and also more flavorful.
- 2 lb. meatball meat (ground beef, pork and veal)
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup milk (I use 1%)
- 3/4 cup breadcrumbs
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground pepper
- 1 tsp garlic powder (optional)
- 1 tsp onion powder (optional)
- American Cheese (optional)
- 1 15-oz can pizza sauce (we prefer Don Pepino)
1. Preheat oven to 375º F.
2. In a large bowl mix ground meat, egg, milk, breadcrumbs, salt, pepper, garlic and onion powder.
3. Transfer mixture into meatloaf pan (I use glass but any kind will work).
4. If adding the cheese, this is where you do it. Place 3 slices of cheese in the meat as shown below. We like to add extra (not shown below)…..
5. Pour pizza sauce over the meatloaf.
6. The pizza sauce will boil over, so use a baking sheet under the meatloaf pan. Bake for about 60-80 min (until a meat thermometer inserted into center of mixture reads 165º F).
7. Remove from oven, let cool about 10-15 minutes and enjoy!
We typically enjoy a side of mashed potatoes and fresh veggies (carrots, broccoli and cauliflower) with this dish. (And, as always, my glass of Sav Blanc!)